Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gear Review: Honey Stinger Gold Gel by Robert Whitaker

Product: Honey Stinger Gold gel – 1.3 oz

Ingredients: Honey, Water, Potassium Citrate, Salt, B vitamins

Nutrition Information: 120 calories, 50 mg Sodium, 85 mg Potassium, 29 g Total carbohydrates (from sugar)

Pricing: $1.29 for a single packet and $30.96 for a box of 24 from HoneyStinger.com

Impressions:  I first used the Honey Stinger Gold gels for my long training run of 15 miles. The "honey" taste is the first obvious advantage over other gels – it tastes great! It has a thinner consistency than other gels I've been using and that makes it so much easier to swallow while running. I was most impressed with the energy in the gel. It really sustained me during the run and my energy level was excellent throughout the entire run. The Honey Stinger gel gave me no problems with my stomach and with recent problems using other products it was nice to run without digestive issues.

Summary: My overall impression with the Honey Stinger gel is – OUTSTANDING! I'm looking forward to using it in competition.

Originally from Memphis, Tennessee, Robert is a new member of the Fleet Feet Racing Team from Huntsville in the 2012 season.  Robert began running in 2002 and moved here in 2008 with his wife Sherry.  His team biography can be found here.