Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lean Horse Hundred

Lean Horse Hundred
by Eric Fritz

As I pack my final drop bag for what seems like the 15th time and look around my living room at the mess I've made with all the extra stuff that at one time I "thought I might need" my mind begins to wonder how I got to this point.

I'm going to run 100 miles (or at least I hope to)

That's a long way... and it's not really even the distance that worries me so much but the fact that I'm going to be running for somewhere around 24 hours. Every race to this point I've ever attempted has always been a modest step up from the previous one. But before this race, the longest I've ever run for is about 12 hours. So now I think I can double that!? What am I thinking? I fully expect to find new levels of pain that I never even knew existed this coming Saturday. But, I've done the training, put in all those 80, 90 and 100 mile weeks just like I was told to, so I've got to be able to do this right? Still I wonder. Anyway, I've really wanted to do this for a while now and come hell or high water, I'm going to be at that starting line on Saturday morning, 6:00am sharp and once the horn sounds there will be nothing left to do but run and enjoy the day. I expect I'll have quite a different perspective in a just a few days but for now, I just want to get to it.

See you on the other side.