Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Fleet Feet Racing: David O'Keefe

Name: David O'Keefe
Date of Birth: October 13, 1973
City: Owens Cross Roads, Alabama



Brief Biography

My day (and sometimes night) job is working at Huntsville Hospital as an ER physician. I am married to an incredible woman, Lori. We have 3 children ages 11, 7, and 5 who challenge us every day with their energy. We are active at Rivertree Church where I lead a small group. My passion is for the unknown adventures in life that come in knowing Jesus. In the last 4 years, I've been running more and more. Running keeps me connected to creation. I love to compete and see how fast and far I can go. It is an endless challenge, and there is nothing better than running our local trails to recharge my body, mind and soul.

Short Term Goals

  • Under 16:40 for 5K
  • Under 35:00 for 10K
  • Complete my first 50 mile run
  • Under 1:17 for the half marathon
  • Under 2:44 for the marathon
  • Under 4:30 for Mountain Mist
  • Stay healthy and balanced

Long Term Goals

  • The 100 mile distance is fascinating, but scary at the same time. Would love to give it a shot one day.
  • Stay healthy and slowly improve.
  • Encourage others to get experience running for themselves

Personal Records

  • 1 Mile at Harry Williams All-Comer Track Meet on 05/2011 Time 4:52 - Bob Jones High School Track, Madison, AL
  • 5km at on 05/2011 Time 16:45 - Huntsville, AL
  • 10km at River City 10K on 04/2011 Time 35:59.9  - Decatur, AL
  • Half Marathon at Huntsville Half Marathon on 11/2011 Time 1:18:05  - Huntsville, AL
  • Marathon at Houston Marathon on 01/2012 Time 2:45:28
  • 50km at Dizzy Fifties on Time 4:13:01  - Monte Sano State Park, Huntsville, AL

Goal Races

  • McKay Hollow 25K trail run, March 24
  • River City 10K, April 2012
  • Leadville Silver Rush 50 Mile, July 15
  • Rocket City Marathon, December

A fun fact others might not know

I could jump off 2 feet and hang on a basketball rim in high school, but I could never dunk anything more than a tennis ball

How have you been an ambassador to the sport of running?

The best way I have been an ambassador is through volunteering last year. I was able to help set up several races so others could run. I also led group runs, giving runners a guided tour of an upcoming race. My most rewarding experience was leading a pace group at the Rocket City Marathon last year. Helping runners achieve their goal time in the marathon was a memory I will never forget. Talking about an upcoming race or telling the story of a recent race has given some friends the motivation they need to begin running for themselves.