Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Fleet Feet Racing: Marty Clarke

Name: Marty Clarke
Date of Birth: February 16, 1962
City: Huntsville, Alabama

Twitter: @mclarkeruns



Brief Biography

I ran my first road 10k in 1980 and having been running ever since. I have raced distances from the mile to 50m. I have been a member of the Fleet Feet Huntsville Racing Team since its beginning. I have also been the Cross Country Coach at Westminster Christian Academy for the last five years.

Short Term Goals

After turning 50 years old in February I plan to compete as much as possible as a Grand Master. First big race will be the Germantown half marathon in March. I am going to train as consistently as possible during the next year.

Long Term Goals

I plan on continuing to run as long as my body will hold up. I am going to continue to help train the next generation of runners and help them to achieve their goals. My goal is to help the sport of running continue to grow.

Personal Records
  • 1 Mile at Jimmy Vest Mile on September 1996 Time 4:44
  • 2 Mile at Winter WWinds on February 1999 Time 10:19
  • 5km at Spirit Of Halloween on October 1999 Time 16:08
  • 4 Mile at Turkey Trot on November 2000 Time 21:21
  • 5 Mile at Scholarship Run on April 2002 Time 27:17
  • 10km at River City 10k on April 2000 Time 33:27
  • 15km at Mill 15k on October 1999 Time 53:42
  • 10 Mile at Rocket Run on 36557 Time 56:06
  • Half Marathon at Huntsville Half on February 2000 Time 1:15:06
  • Marathon at Rocket City on December 1998 Time 2:48:24
  • Other at Ball Park 3k on April 2002 Time 9:42

Goal Races
  • Germantown Half Marathon Mrch
  • Scholarship 8k April
  • Cotton Row 10k May
  • Monte Sano 15k October

A fun fact others might not know

I taught Eric Charette how to blog. Just kidding, I do have to take partial credit or blame for creating that running monster. That was back in the day when he first got here and I could still outrun him. My Engineer Run 10k/5k story has always been an inspiration to him.

How have you been an ambassador to the sport of running?

I have help coach training at Fleet Feet Sports including Tuesday night track workouts, the first half marathon training group and Cotton Row training runs. I have coached high school cross country for the last five years. While coaching I have not only encouraged my runners but also their parents to participate in running. I have had parents complete who have completed No Boundaries, Next Steps and the Half Marathon training groups. I have also encouraged runners while working at Fleet Feet Sports.