Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Fleet Feet Racing: David Rawlings

Name: David Rawlings
Date of Birth: September 9, 1971
City: Decatur, Alabama



Brief Biography

I was born and raised in central Kansas.I ran track for a few years in middle and high school, but I didn't take running seriously. until I joined the Army and, there, I learned that I had a natural gift for endurance. I mostly ran because it was part of the Army's physical training program, but I liked it. At one of my duty stations, we were required to qualify in a yearly 20K ruck march. I chose to run it, and it was then that I understood the challenge of endurance running. After over seven years, I left the Army and took some time off from running. Like so many of us, the year that followed was sedentary. What followed was weight gain. I resolved to lose that weight and running seemed the most effective way. Running has opened the door to other things. I have a better diet and take part in other types of activities, like weight training, cycling, and swimming. This had led to my intense interest in triathlons.

Short Term Goals

Sub-40-minute 10K; 3:15 marathon; just plain getting faster.

Long Term Goals

Staying healthy so that I can continue to run, mentor, and coach marathon distance groups.

Personal Records
  • 5km at Cookie Dash 5km on Time 19:42 - Huntsville, AL
  • 4 Mile at Winter Winds on Time 26:32 - Huntsville, AL
  • 5 Mile at Fitness Festival 5-Mile on Time 33:00 - Salina, KS
  • 10km at Cotton Row on Time 42:16 - Huntsville, AL
  • Half Marathon at Life Without Limits on Time 1:34:02  - Florence, AL
  • Marathon at Rocket City Marathon on Time 3:21:41  - Huntsville, AL
  • Other at Delano Park 12-Hour Run Team Competition Winner  - Decatur, AL

Goal Races
  • Cotton Row, 10K
  • Monte Sano 15K
  • Huntsville Half Marathon
  • Rocket City Marathon

A fun fact others might not know

I am very patriotic and love talking to anyone about the freedoms and liberties that living in this country affords me. I am very interested in politics and philosophy. I like shooting, snow skiing, astronomy and Star Trek.

How have you been an ambassador to the sport of running?

I coach the Fleet Feet Marathon Training Group regularly, I volunteer at local races, I mentor, advise, and run with my coworkers at my day job, and I work at Fleet Feet part-time and try to talk to as many people I can and convince them of the thrill and benefits of running.