Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Fleet Feet Racing: Rob Youngren

Name: Rob Youngren
Date of Birth: June 9, 1974
City: Huntsville, Alabama

Blog/Website: munisano.blogspot.com



Brief Biography

Born in Woodland, California and grew up just a bit away in Sacramento. Attended the Virginia Military Institute (1997) where I graduated with a B.S. in Physics (minor in Astronomy). Met my lovely wife Kathy not long later and relocated to Alabama. Earned my M.S. in Computer Science from UAH and am currently pursuing my PhD in Computer Science. Have been working as a computer scientist / analyst for over 10 years. In addition to my passion for running, I also enjoy off road unicycling as a means to cross-train for trail running.

Short Term Goals
  • Finish Barkley Marathon Fun Run in late March in April.
  • Compete at the Ultrabalaton 212k (131 mile) in Hungary in June
  • Compete in a Fall mountain 100 mile race, TBD which one.
  • Compete in the Army 10 Mile in Washington, D.C.

Long Term Goals
  • Fast pack the 500 mile Colorado Trail within the next few years
  • Compete in the Arrowhead 135 in Northern Minnesota as a stepping stone towards the famed Iditarod Trail Invitational (350 mile and 1100 mile foot races).
  • Do some more overseas events including the Spartathlon (Greece), Ultra Tour de Mont Blanc (France), Mt. Kilimanjaro Marathon (Tanzania), etc... 
  • Win the HTC Masters Grand Prix when I turn 40 in 2014.

Goal Races
  • Barkley Marathons, ???, March 31st
  • UltraBalaton, 212km, June 30th
  • Army Ten-Miler, 10 miles, October 21st
  • Fall Mountain 100 Miler, 100 miles TBD

A fun fact others might not know

I had a partially developed pine cone removed from my sinus cavity as a child. Apparently my love of climbing trees led to my inhaling a small seed that found fertile ground in my head!

How have you been an ambassador to the sport of running?

I've volunteered, year after year at many local Huntsville Track Club and Fleet Feet sponsored events. From simply helping set up and clean up at a venue to physically pulling tabs and helping work an active finish line to co-race directing to manning aid stations; I've been giving back to the sport that has given me so much. I'm always assisting other runners trying to achieve their goals through constantly giving advice, encouragement and even training/gear recommendations.