Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gear Review: Honey Stinger Gold Gel by Rick Mahhlmann

Product: Honey Stinger Gold gel – 1.3 oz

Ingredients: Honey, Water, Potassium Citrate, Salt, B vitamins

Nutrition Information: 120 calories, 50 mg Sodium, 85 mg Potassium, 29 g Total carbohydrates (from sugar)

Pricing: $1.29 for a single packet and $30.96 for a box of 24 from HoneyStinger.com

Impressions: I recently tried a Honey Stinger Gold gel during a long run. This gel is summed up with the first, sweet part of the brand name and the first ingredient listed – Honey. I wouldn’t have guessed there was anything but honey in this gel. Without making it obvious in the taste of the gel, Honey Stinger has included the Sodium and Potassium that are essential to replace during endurance activities. Something else very pleasant about the gel, I didn’t have to worry about squirting it near the back of my mouth or getting the gel down quickly because I enjoyed the natural honey taste. Even on a cold morning, the consistency of this gel was a bit thinner (less viscous) than honey, making it easy to dispense and swallow. Opening the packet with gloves while running was nearly effortless. I did manage to lose the tab I tore off to open the packet despite my attempts to save it for disposal. My only suggestion for improvement is to somehow make that tab easier to capture.

Summary: Honey Stinger Gold is worth trying if you enjoy simple, sweet, and natural as qualities in a gel.

Rick is an original member of the Fleet Feet Racing Team from Huntsville and together with his wife Katie have contributed tremendously to the running community since moving to Huntsville in 2000. His team biography can be found here.