Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Fleet Feet Racing: Eric Patterson

Name: Eric Patterson
Date of Birth: May 19, 1972
City: Athens, Alabama

Blog/Website: http://rocketcitytraining.blogspot.com
Twitter: @reachdown



Brief Biography

I am a native of North Alabama, having been born, raised, and now residing in Limestone County. I was always the fat guy until I lost over 70 pounds about 6 years ago and then started running. Running wasn't how I lost the weight, but it has been key to maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.

I am the race director for the Duck and Run 5k, currently the longest running race in Limestone County. I maintain a blog that keeps the public informed of race performances of Limestone County runners. http://northalabamarunner.blogspot.com

Running, particularly racing, has changed my life. Through prayers, conversations, pains, joys, sights, and sounds on my runs I have learned much about God, nature, and myself. Through racing I have improved the skill of setting and working toward challenging goals. I enjoy races from 5k to 50k.

Short Term Goals

I must break 3 hours in a marathon! I'm so focused on this, that I don't have any other performance related short term goal.  I plan to introduce more young people in Limestone County to the sport of running in 2012.

Long Term Goals

Some time in my life, I would like to win a race, any race, anywhere, any distance.  I'd like to be the fastest runner in Limestone County.

Personal Records
  • 5km at on 10/2011 Time 17:46
  • 10km at Elkmont Rails to Trails 10k on 09/2011 Time 38:01
  • 15km at Fleet Feet Monte Sano 15k on 10/2011 Time 58:58
  • 10 Mile at Rocket Run 10 Miler on 03/2010 Time 1:05:18
  • Half Marathon at Huntsville Half Marathon on 11/2009 Time 1:28:13
  • Marathon at Country Music Marathon on 04/2010 Time 3:07:29
  • 50km at Recover From the Holidays 50k on 12/2011 Time 4:14:45

Goal Races
  • Albany Marathon, 26.2, March 3
  • Chattanooga Stage Races, 60 miles over 3 days, June 15-17
  • Dizzy Fifties, 50 mile, November 17

A fun fact others might not know

I'm a huge mixed martial arts fan. I love the UFC, Strikeforce, and Bellator. I plan to start taking karate this year and I watch MMA any time it's on TV. My favorite fighter is Benson Henderson.

How have you been an ambassador to the sport of running?

I direct a race in Limestone County and volunteer often. I organize a weekly 10 mile run in Athens that has been running for over 3 years now.

I maintain two blogs about running. One is focused on my training and with it I attempt to inspire others to run. The other is focused on race performances by residents of Limestone County. I have built relationships with several Cross Country coaches in Limestone County and I encourage their students to embrace running.

I love to run and I truly want to share the positive change that running has made in my life with others.